On page seo question?

vinodkunwar's Avatar, Join Date: Mar 2012
Banned
I want to know a question..................
How many target keywords should a site have?
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Site can have infinite number of keywords. There is no limit.
like this
ozsubasi's Avatar, Join Date: Jan 2012
Invasive contributor
Do you mean a site or do you mean a page? Each page can have different keywords, so that overall the site would have many. For individual pages, it is entirely up to you. Some advice I have seen says 2 or 3 keywords per page but I don't agree with this because I want a page to rank for as many as possible.
Adamdavid's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2012
Light Poster
There is no limit in Keywords. If you have more number of keyword its good for your website to get good traffic.
like this
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamdavid View Post
There is no limit in Keywords. If you have more number of keyword its good for your website to get good traffic.
WRONG. You should read some articles first.

Got this from google webmaster central bla bla bla :

Code:
Does Google ever use the "keywords" meta tag in its web search ranking?

Response :
In a word, no. Google does sell a Google Search Appliance, and that product has the ability to match meta tags, which could include the keywords meta tag. But that's an enterprise search appliance that is completely separate from our main web search. Our web search (the well-known search at Google.com that hundreds of millions of people use each day) disregards keyword metatags completely. They simply don't have any effect in our search ranking at present.

btw ... your website will look spammy with too many keywords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jK7IPbnmvVU

Last edited by Alex.Gabriel; 2Jun2012 at 00:37..
Invasive contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Gabriel View Post
WRONG. You should read some articles first.
Got this from google webmaster central bla bla bla :
Code:
Does Google ever use the "keywords" meta tag in its web search ranking?

Response :
In a word, no. Google does sell a Google Search Appliance, and that product has which could include the keywords
meta tag. But that's an enterprise search appliance that is completely separate from our main web search. Our web search
(the well-known search at Google.com that hundreds of millions of people use each day) disregards keyword metatags completely.
They simply don't have any effect in our search ranking at present.
btw ... your website will look spammy with too many keywords
Ok, the first point to make here is that the OP asked "How many target keywords should a site have?" and you have interpreted that as meaning "how many should I have in the meta tag", but that wasn't the question, no mention was made of the meta tag. The post you quoted was answering in terms of the question.
The keyword meta tag is immaterial to Google but keywords are not. Anyone who looks at the Google Webmaster Tools can see that a site is analysed by Google to see which words are repeated, and how they should reflect what the site is about.
I will use my own site as an example: it is about real estate, so I use all kinds of words in my content, such as properties, property, houses, home, villa, apartment, flat, house etc etc and also combine this with the name of my town and the country.
Together these make up a load of keyword combinations, and it is very possible to have all of them as "target keywords" without putting them in the meta tag.
In other words, these combinations are what I am looking to be ranked for, and I can write content that flows by using a variety of synonyms so Google can see that they are relevant to what my site is about, it doesn't have to look spammy and can be helpful to the user.

Last edited by ozsubasi; 2Jun2012 at 19:23..
like this
Light Poster
I dont think on-page plays that much part in ranking of a website the structure can always be kept the same.
ankitabc's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2012
Light Poster
i suggest you don't take more than 5 keywords per page
Invasive contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitabc View Post
i suggest you don't take more than 5 keywords per page
For the OP to be able to consider your suggestion, they would need to know the reasons why you think it should be 5.
Light Poster
you can target as many as you want just make sure you do proper keyword research.
likes this