Optimized Anchor Can Lead To Penalty

arold10's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2012
Go4Expert Member
Well, while I was surfing the web for latest Search engine optimization techniques I stumble upon a post which states that anchor text optimization can lead to penalty. I was shocked to learn that because this has been used extensively by webmasters as a way to target any type of keyword that you want to rank for. I was aware that anchor text over-optimization was a problem. I'd would like to know your thought on that?
0
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by arold10 View Post
Well, while I was surfing the web for latest Search engine optimization techniques I stumble upon a post which states that anchor text optimization can lead to penalty. I was shocked to learn that because this has been used extensively by webmasters as a way to target any type of keyword that you want to rank for. I was aware that anchor text over-optimization was a problem. I'd would like to know your thought on that?
Anything that is done to game the SE can be a penalty in the long run. Just make a variation in anchor text to make it look more natural.

Also try to get anchor text with more of your brand name than keywords as more quality links always help.
SunilC like this
0
arold10's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2012
Go4Expert Member
Well, the truth of the matter is that can not be considered as tricks that are intended to game the SE. At one point there was not anything wrong with that and it was not against Google's webmaster guidelines. Anchor text optimization was very important concerning getting your ideal keywords ranked.

That's the problem that I have with Google regarding their updates. If something was acceptable at one point and if you release an update that's against that particular practice you can't take punitive action against any site which has been using something that was acceptable according to your own policies.
0
Safari's Avatar, Join Date: Oct 2007
Ambitious contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by arold10 View Post
Well, the truth of the matter is that can not be considered as tricks that are intended to game the SE. At one point there was not anything wrong with that and it was not against Google's webmaster guidelines. Anchor text optimization was very important concerning getting your ideal keywords ranked.

That's the problem that I have with Google regarding their updates. If something was acceptable at one point and if you release an update that's against that particular practice you can't take punitive action against any site which has been using something that was acceptable according to your own policies.
If anything that was in policies and was being misused and if they updated the policies to stop spammers from doing it I don't see anything wrong in it. Policies around the world change over time and something that was working was and may not be enough because spammers are becoming smarter over time and so Google has to keep upto ti.
shabbir like this
0
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by arold10 View Post
Well, the truth of the matter is that can not be considered as tricks that are intended to game the SE. At one point there was not anything wrong with that and it was not against Google's webmaster guidelines. Anchor text optimization was very important concerning getting your ideal keywords ranked.

That's the problem that I have with Google regarding their updates. If something was acceptable at one point and if you release an update that's against that particular practice you can't take punitive action against any site which has been using something that was acceptable according to your own policies.
Having exactly the same anchor text even in 2004ish kind of timeframe had issues when directory submission was at its peak. Same keyword for directory links had the issue and so it is not something new from Google.
0
arold10's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2012
Go4Expert Member
Well, a big shout out to everyone who gives their honest opinion about my question. I am now working on diversifying my anchor in order to make them look more natural.Here is the methods that I am trying to implement.

Quote:
60% brand, URL, brand+keyword, and non-targeted anchor texts.
30% partial, phrase, and broad match keyword anchor texts.
10% exact match anchor texts.
0
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by arold10 View Post
Well, a big shout out to everyone who gives their honest opinion about my question. I am now working on diversifying my anchor in order to make them look more natural.Here is the methods that I am trying to implement.
I would also add synonyms anchor links and click here (non targeted as you mention) links as well.
0
arold10's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2012
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir View Post
I would also add synonyms anchor links and click here (non targeted as you mention) links as well.
I'll consider that because I really want to diversify my link building as much as I can so that It can appear natural.