Novell 4.91 + Lightspeed Systems- Regaining Internet or an Account

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by Kenjitamurako, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Kenjitamurako

Kenjitamurako New Member

Well, my account was disabled. I guess I was caught on a proxy, use them to read manga and such during teacher aide periods. I can get on the computer just fine bypassing the login screen but from there Lightspeed blocks EVERY webpage except the schools website. I get on by typing in a fake username, hitting the advanced tab, and deleting the context. I can also get onto the network genuinely by using my sisters middle school username and login (I correctly guessed her password) but again no internet. Because she is in a different school it is a different context.

Two years ago we could access the internet just fine by bypassing the login, we did this because it gave us computer administrative rights (still does) but last year they prevented us from gaining internet access. Maybe they upgraded their netware?

I've checked and compared the IP information from both an authenticated account and a login bypass, they are the same. Somehow the admin wised up and figured out how to have lightspeed block all internet traffic outside the school's context.

I know how to access the command prompt, both authenticated and unauthenticated, and I can bring in any program on a flash drive.

Questions:
    1. Could I somehow bypass lightspeed systems? (Remember I cannot reach a proxy site and I hear JAP is slow)
    2. Could I log on borrowing someone else's account (one time thing) and use some tool to gain admin rights and either A. Re-enable my old account or B. Create myself a new one?

I really do not mind not having an account so much because I can save all my files to a flash drive, but I need internet access (at a reasonable speed) to kill time during aide periods and do in school assignments that require research. To have the system re-enable my account I need to go through the principal and they have a no tolerance policy with proxies plus who knows how long it'll take.

Also, I can navigate DOS fairly well. I've already been through the network files on the H: drive and used such commands as nlist.exe to view the systems information.

2. fourthdimension

fourthdimension New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.easygeek.org
    Look into tunnelling portable apps firefox over ssh. That'll make your traffic go encrypted over port 22 instead of plaintext over 80, which should allow it to pass right by the restrictions.

3. Kenjitamurako

Kenjitamurako New Member

I should probably just google this question but im in no hurry, would SSH require my windows account be logged in? I've messed around with putty and such before but it didn't really work out.

I probably should've posted this before but the netware uses Zenworks v5.6. Something about this has interested me.

Details:

I can log in through novell with my sisters old account because they are on the same tree (the whole district is on one server). The context my school uses is highland.k12.slcsd. The context I login with is clayton.k8.slcsd. My school uses the server 708-FS1 while clayton uses 408-FS1. When I look at the Novell Connections info it says I have connections to both. I probably should have tried setting 708 as primary before because 408 is primary by default. (I haven't had the chance to try this yet) Also, when bypassing the log in and checking the novell connections there are of course no servers listed.

Two days ago someone crashed lightspeed systems...it was completely gone. Today it came back but now people who bypass login can connect to the internet. I'm sure this won't last long so I'd like suggestions now.

Before lightspeed crashed I had done an ipconfig /all and found both the Windows IP Configuration and the NIC had the Primary DNS Suffix set as the school's context "highland.k12.slcsd.net" and the DHCP was Yes. After the crash I ran it again and both the DNS fields were blank and DHCP was set to no. Could this have something to do with the firewall being able to block out unauthenticated/out of context users?

I've gone into the Control Panel's IP settings and looked at the DNS settings, I can't remember what they were but I tried to set it to manual and type in the context as the DNS suffix with the ipconfigs DNS's listed. I did this before the crash and it didn't work but I probably did it wrong. After they repair everything with the blocks in place could I try setting the DNS suffix as clayton.k8.slcsd.net or would there be conflict like it not working with the two DNS IP's listed? Being in a different school I don't see how this could work because they use two different servers 408 and 708. If this has to do with DHCP and DNS could someone tell me how to set it so that lightspeed would permit connection?

If it isn't either of the above could Lightspeed have a feature that allows it to transport or have copied into it the verification of all the accounts and deny access to someone not on an account? How could it do this?

How does Novell login work? Does logging into novell rather than bypassing mean the computer has been assigned an extra value or had a setting changed? Because without the novell login and without lightspeed I'm still connected to the server with internet (the gateway is the same address as what's typed into the server field of the login screen). It's just this internet is now regulated with a firewall that somehow knows which computers haven't been authenticated.

Finally, like I said before I have access to the command prompt and information on the districts server. After I've logged in on my sister's account I can go to the server's drive letter (h:) and type "cx ." a couple of time to go up a couple directories. When I reach .slcsd I type in "cx highland.k12". Does CX mean my computer has actually changed context or am I just using the prompt like a browser to view information? In anycase I also know the commands Nlist.exe and Map. I don't know how to use map though or know if it even has any use.

Is there a way I could actually change my context while I'm logged on without needing a new account?