mysqldump slowing down perl process?

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by dileep410, Apr 8, 2009.

1. dileep410

dileep410 New Member

Hi All,

I have a data calculation process-a perl script running each and every hour which will do some calculations on the data stored in a mysql server. Normally it tooks around 2minutes (max) to complete.

But in case if i did any actions on the linux box where the database is hosted, it is slowing down the process so as to finish the job in 30-50 minutes. I am just doing a mysqldump in the early hours of morning which is slowing down the very next process run. The process run is starting slowly but picking up it's speed and will finish up in it's own fashion, but overall 30-50 minutes it will consume.

I tried to do some optimization on the db server, moved the db server to a different box apart from where the perl script is running ie, loadserver but no change. I also noticed the io% consumed while the job is running and it is too high initially when the process start, then slows down gradually.

Here goes the version information:

MySQL:
    version : 5.0.51a-24
    version_comment : (Debian)
    version_compile_machine : i486
    version_compile_os : debian-linux-gnu
    Kernel version: 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP
    Operating System: Debian 5.0 (lenny)

Can anyone face the similar scenario? Any ideas on this? Your help is very much appreciated!

With Regards
    Dileep Pattayath

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If you have MySQLDump running when the perl process starts or both are running at different time ? It would be interesting to look into this.

3. dileep410

dileep410 New Member

Both are running at different times, mysqldump is running 2 hours before the perl script which is accessing mysql data. At all other timings the perl script finishes it job withhin 2 minutes almost stable, but only this run it slowed down.

I tried by stopping the mysqldump process a day and on that day the perl process finished up in 2 minutes. So am so confused up!

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If you are using Linux try running top command and see what happens when the MySQLDump starts and see if the situation becomes same when it stops. It may have some memory print which is not cleared.

5. wristbandsnow

wristbandsnow New Member

Hi friends I am just doing a mysqldump in the early hours of morning which is slowing down the very next process run. The process run is starting slowly but picking up it's speed and will finish up in it's own fashion. Thanks