1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

learn C or C++ ??

Discussion in 'Shell Script' started by trapeze, Sep 15, 2007.

1. trapeze

trapeze New Member

i am thinking about learning even though i know very little of them. but, i don't know which is better ? by being better it may depend on my purposes. however, i would like to hear from others. thx.:confused:

2. HowardL

HowardL New Member

Start with C!
    When I installed Linux three years ago I began to learn bash (the most common shell language used in nix) and a little bit of C. That helped me to understand the way computers work more than anything else I had experienced in the previous 20 years. (not that I tried that hard)

I have really gotten into C for the last nine months and continue to learn. I compile on in windows now too using the GNU MINGW compiler which works much like Linux's GNU C (gcc). I found that many other languages are acutally written in C! Understanding C will make it that much easier to learn any other programming language.

I have had a couple of occasions to use a little C++, but haven't found C lacking enough to make me want to move in that direction yet. I am presently moving into using C for win32 API and still find no need for C++. There will probably come a time though... Ain't there yet...
    Howard;

3. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

It all depends on your requirement and so you should have some focus which should be the base of your decision but I would say you should be going with C++ beacuse that will help you get into some of the latest technolgy like Java or DotNet

4. Zoiked

Zoiked New Member

5. todd12345

todd12345 New Member

C is a general-purpose, imperative computer programming language, supporting structured programming, lexical variable scope and recursion, while a static type system prevents many unintended operations
    C++ is a general-purpose programming language.