Yes , they aren't the same
... anyway, you may integrate server-side scripts and mysql databases with the toolbars as follows:
1) Advertising via the toolbar:
a) using the scrolling ticker tape area
b) using the advertising buttons with image that instantly being
shown on the toolbar.
2) Implementing a third party search engine results
3) Counting statistics for toolbar usage time, installation, deinstallation
4) Gathering of the browsing behavior
5) Broadcast messages to your Toolbar users
These scripts are available in PHP/ASP/Perl as Add-ons of ToolbarStudio.