Traffic generation tactics that works for me:

Guest posting to high authority and relevant websites:
High authority blog sites tend to have a large audience. Just imagine the exposure you will get when you get your blogs, containing your websites' links, posted in these sites.

Comment Posting:
Posting on websites with relevant niche to your website can generate traffic. Find blogs that have at least 3 comments in them since this will tell you that that blog does have readers as well as allow comments. Find blogs that have a comment luv plug-in. This plug-in allows the latest post from your site to appear below your comment thus allowing the other commenters to conveniently click and visit your site.

Article submission:
High authority directories such as ezinearticles, hubpages, squidoo, goarticles, articlebase have numerous loyal and new visitors. By providing a quality article, your readers would be encouraged to visit your main site.

Create high quality links:
Creating high quality backlinks can help your website climb in the ranking thus making your site more visible to readers that are searching for your chosen keywords. I came across Ardor Backlinks and Auto Backlink Services. I am not am fan of availing for services that creates hundreds of backlinks but I do prefer a few yet high PR backlinks. I usually visit Ardor Backlinks and Auto Backlink Services if I want to acquire PR 4 to 9, .edu, .gov backlinks.

I hope this list can help.