Okay, listen up. You can't use that type of assignment at run time, only at compile time. The compiler can do that for you, just once, when you compile. The microprocessor cannot do that for you at run time, when it determines what the value of "x" is.

Let me give you another example. You may put, at the top of your program, a statement like
Code:
char myText [] = "This is my text";
That only works because the compiler writers are doing you a favor. You cannot assign a bunch of characters to an array in C/C++. You have to assign them one at a time. In the foregoing example, the compiler runs all the code necessary to assign the characters, individually. It then stores the result permanently, as a series of characters, in the executable file. When the program is launched that pattern is put into memory BEFORE the executive calls your "main" function. It is then there for your program to work with, as it runs. It is impossible for the compiler to know what "x" is before the program runs. It cannot, therefore, put "This is my text" and "That was my text" in the memory location which has been named "myText".

I'm sorry if this is confusing to you. You will either have to take my word for it, or think about it, or back your *** off into assembly language and try to put two different values in the same variable at the same time. It ainna gonna woik, Bubba.