HELP!! modem probz on linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amitace_223, Sep 1, 2004.

1. amitace_223

amitace_223 New Member

IT student
    hey every1

glad to b a member of this site.....hats off to the administrators......gr8 work.

here's my problem :

1. i have jus installed PCQ linux 2004 on my pc (which is based on fedora core1 )
    i also have windoze 98 installed.
    my problem is tht i cant seem to connect to the net using PCQ linux.
    i have a 3com US Robotics 56k voice faxmodem which works fine on windoze.....in fact im connected to the net rite now thru this very modem.
    in linux, when i try to activate the modem device, my pc jus hangs up u c.
    n whts more....the mouse pointer starts actin crazy......it starts clickin on stuff with out my movin the pointer....itsw totoal chaos after tht point......i jus have to restart the pc.
    if itry to activate the modem in the text mode, the same thing happens.......a bunch of senseless commands tht i din even type appear on the command prompt and ofcoz the sheel returns a command error.
    here's the error i get in GUI mode :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Component: redhat-config-network
    Version: 1.3.10
    Summary: TBd50ddb08 redhat-control-network:341:hydrateProfiles:AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'hide'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/redhat-control-network", line 224, in on_configureButton_clicked
    self.hydrateProfiles(refresh = TRUE)
    File "/usr/bin/redhat-control-network", line 341, in hydrateProfiles
    self.xml.get_widget('profileFrame').hide()
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'hide'

Local variables in innermost frame:
    profilelist: ProfileList.default.HostsList.1.IP=127.0.0.1
    ProfileList.default.HostsList.1.Hostname=localhost.localdomain
    ProfileList.default.HostsList.1.AliasList.1=localhost
    ProfileList.default.ActiveDevices.1=roltanet
    ProfileList.default.DNS.SecondaryDNS=
    ProfileList.default.DNS.Domainname=
    ProfileList.default.DNS.PrimaryDNS=
    ProfileList.default.DNS.Hostname=localhost.localdomain
    ProfileList.default.DNS.TertiaryDNS=
    ProfileList.default.Active=true
    ProfileList.default.ProfileName=default

self: <__main__.mainDialog instance at 0x9d5863c>
    omenu: None
    refresh: 1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it then gives me options like"debug","cancel","save as file".......n if i click on debug.....nothin happens..........nothin.wht the?

as u can see in either case......my problem remains unsolved.......i jus cant seem to connect to the net using......n this is really frustrating........i m really considering switchin back to windows.......

i m in serious nee of help n this liux thing is gettin on my nerves.
    all help is really gr8ly appreciated.
    thnk u all so much.

amit.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  3. libervisco

libervisco New Member

I am not sure, but it could be a winmodem. I recently switched to linux as my primary OS and had a problem with my modem. It's PCTel HSP56MR, AMR soft modem (or winmodem, whatever) :)

After some hassle i got it working as i am connected with it right now, and i'm on linux (mdk 10). I installed slmodem driver which work on a variety of winmodems so it's recommended for a try to anyone that has something similar.

Anyway.. did you solve the problem?
    If not.. here's an useful resource: Linmodems.org - this is where you should start if looking for a winmodem driver for linux. It's the greatest "linmodem" resource.

Daniel