hay xpi0t0s, or anyone else who decides to tell me stuff. i took a bit of a break from this code and i cam back, i reformatted so i lost all the stuff i had done but no matter. i still remember it all. (i am vary good at remembering numbers) but i still ahve the same problem as before, the stupid encounter thing xpi0t0s was trying to tell me about. here is my code so far, i think it if good enough for a demo of what you were trying to tell me. please if it would not be too much trouble could you xpi0t0s, or anyone else who cares edit in the proper way to make it when you go south || 's' of the starting location message pops up saying "monster" or something... using the monster array at the top.
Code:
 #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(){

int monster[3]={0,0,1};
char dir;
int placement;
//end veriables

placement =0;

do{
if (placement == 0){
cout<<"you are in the starting location...move!"<<endl<<"north or south? "<<endl;
cin>>dir;

if (dir == 'n'){
placement = 1;

}

else if (dir == 's'){
placement = 2;
}

}

if (placement == 1){
cout<<"you are in the place north of the start"<<endl<<"you can go south"<<endl;
cin>>dir;

if (dir == 's'){
placement = 0;
}

}

if (placement == 2){
cout<<"you are south of the start"<<endl<<"you can go north"<<endl;
cin>>dir;

if (dir == 'n'){
placement = 0;
}
}

}while (dir > -1);

cout<<monster[0]<<monster[1]<<monster[2]<<endl;
cin>>a;
cout<<monster[a]<<endl;
}
(i really hope this post makes sence i have not had any sleep in three days and i am kinda out of it. and i can never rember how to spell "xpi0t0s".)