jdnwdc1987's Avatar, Join Date: Sep 2008
Newbie Member
Hello I am a Newbie to the computer world however a guy like me always thought i knew everything there is to know about computers and the web but i was proved wrong....I have reason to believe that someone is breaking into my computer....There not changing any passwords or anything but for some reason i can be in a chat room and all of a sudden my computer gets a flood of information making my computer become unresponsive....I have been coming across alot of hackers as well.....I want to know how do i go about locking down my computer 100% and defending myself against any person trying to get into my system....I am running vista but i also am concerned about my internet security and its vulnerability please help......

P.S. Please speak english cause the computer slang can be a bit difficult at times thanks
SpOonWiZaRd's Avatar, Join Date: May 2007
Know what you can do.
Windows Vista is said to be secure enough that 99,9% of remote attacks wont work, but there are many ways to skin a cat so just get good anti-virus and good firewall then you should be safe.
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOonWiZaRd
Windows Vista is said to be secure enough that 99,9% of remote attacks wont work, but there are many ways to skin a cat so just get good anti-virus and good firewall then you should be safe.
Thats good to know.
jimfix5's Avatar, Join Date: Sep 2008
Go4Expert Member
Hey, buddy. Got the Linux box up and running. It was my first setup. Have no experience with the OS, so the lesson was very good. Also installed the two NICs and activated them, but I can't configure the internal to connect my router and network. Found a tutorial, got to the step where it says go to the DHCP server under Servers, and got stuck trying to install one (4.0.0-4.i486 - I'm using Hardy Heron.) Can't convert an rpm to a deb (in my tmp folder), though I installed alien. Anyway, I'll figure it out and let you know.
Know what you can do.
Ok, you can use IP-tables as well to configure DNAT, you will first need to activate routing on your linux box. Here is a link that will be helpful: http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com...be-router.html
Go4Expert Member
Okay, did all that. Then, again, I get to "Configure DHCP," and it tells me to go to "DHCP Server" in Webmin. I've got to install the DHCP server. I do remember checking the option to install one when I installed the server, but it's not showing up. Should I install another version of Linux server? I'm almost there.
Go4Expert Member
Synaptic Package Manager shows "dhcp3-server" installed. Presently trying to access it for configuration.
Know what you can do.
I used Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, I don't think that it will be a big difference. Also, I did not install DHCP, I only did NAT and DNS using Webmin but I remeber that I needed some library files here is the link for that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=926001 this is howto on Webmin for DHCP.
Go4Expert Member
Found it! Had to refresh Webmin modules.
Go4Expert Member
I'm up. Had a bad router. Bought a new one. Plugged it into the Linux box -- and voila! Life is beautiful. I'll double check all the configs and rules and get back to you in the morning.