Is it possible for someone to hack a gmail account?

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by AnneM, Aug 18, 2009.

1. AnneM

AnneM New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. A while ago someone with very little computer knowledge (I know this for a fact - said person claimed they found a way to do it on a forum) managed to hack my yahoo email account. The person in question kind of messed it up because instead of deleting my secondary email first, they added their own address which was made up of their first and last name, so I was able to see who did it as well as keep proof that it was them because of the email sent by yahoo to notify me of password change. What I did was to change to my google account and basically only use the yahoo for general stuff that I don't mind losing.

Now, a long time ago I created a gmail account which I never used. I mean I have no idea of the password, security question or anything. My question is, is it possible for this person to have hacked into this gmail account even though it has probably not been used for over a year? I really don't care about the account at all, but I think this person is trying to fish for information by telling someone I know that they hacked into the account. I am not sure this is true since I can't see how they could get the required info if I have not logged into that account in eons.

I just need to know whether it is possible to do this. Could you please tell me? And if it is how can I disable the account? Should I just send google an email explaining all this. The problem is I started this address so long ago that I remember nothing about it....

Thank you very much
    All the best.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If someone knows your one password chances are he could have used the same on all possible accounts and used them

GMail you can reclaim your account and search for Reclaim GMail and you would see a form which you can submit and reclaim your GMail. I did that for one of my friend where he was even asked to provide the email invite through which he opened the account.

3. AnneM

AnneM New Member

I see...
    The thing is that when said person hacked into my yahoo account it was like a back and forth for a few hours. He would hack in and boot me out and I would go in and change the password to something completely different but then get booted again. It only stopped when I sent a message to the person explaining that I would report them.... So basically this person was able to hack my account even with completely different passwords.
    THanks on the Reclaim Gmail tip. I will get to it right now, even though to be honest I feel like telling this person they can keep the account and be done with it. But it's more a matter of principle than anything else. I had even forgotten about the account because I never used it, and definitely never from this computer or IP.
    Is it possible that I have a keylogger on my unit? I hope not because if i have to run a format I think I am going to kill myself...

4. mayjune

mayjune New Member

Student
    keylogger maybe a possibility, backup and format just to be on safer side...

5. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

It is possible, but, there are ways of getting it off without having to do any reformatting. Download and install HijackThis and run it, copy and paste the HJT log, and I may be able to help you out :D