dual boot windows7 and ubuntu...with windows7 installed first

Discussion in 'Linux' started by elitepirate, Feb 8, 2010.

1. elitepirate

elitepirate New Member

hi all....
    i have bought a new lappy....sony vaio
    i got windows7 pre-installed in lappy along with some vaio care...
    the whole hard disk is set to single partition...in which the windows is installed...
    now ,i would like to dual boot... windows 7 and ubuntu...

i want to install Ubuntu ...without changes to windows 7!!
    i dont want to re-install windows 7...coz..i dont have a genuine copy and vaio drivers!!
    is this possible??
    if yes...how?
    please explain....

2. pankaj.sea

pankaj.sea New Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    http://ipankaj.net
    Yes Its Possible!
    At first free up a partition from your hard disk and then proceed with Ubuntu installation. While installing, use that FREE partition and the while BOOT MANAGER will appear. select Windows 7 as the Default Boot Target!
    NB: If you are not familiar with Linux Installations then please give this work to an expert! Because if you make any mistake during partitioning of hard disk, your all data may be damaged!

3. venami

venami New Member

Software Professional
    Home Page:
    http://mvenkatapathy.wordpress.com
    Yes, you will loose your data in Windows partition if you wrongly select the install partition. So better have your friend near you who already has installed Ubuntu or any other Linux OS atleast once.

4. elitepirate

elitepirate New Member

i've installed ubuntu around 6-7 times...
    but.... i did it previously...by formatting my hard disk,then installing windows(i tried with both xp n vista) and leaving the empty partitions for ubuntu...

but now... i dont want to format my harddisk... and the reason is i have got no driver cd's or recovery disks...

and windows 7 is installed on lappy..with whole harddisk as a single partition...
    "how do i get the free space partitioned from this single disk...without formatting the hard disk...??"
    hope u got the problem....im facing!!

please help

5. pankaj.sea

pankaj.sea New Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    http://ipankaj.net
    hello again!
    If you dont have drivers, then u can use DriverMAX software to collect driver from your installed drivers! Download It Here (3.61 MB)
    By using this software, u can collect any driver which is installed on ur pc.
    Another thing, if you have free enough free space on hard disk to back up a single partition, then free up a partition then break the partition into parts (using disk manager Right Click On My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management) after partitioning again move all backup data to new windows partition and then use the another un-partitioned space to install Ubuntu!