In the state model of design pattern, how does one handle the case where the states have to save information?
Let me give you some background:
I am writing a driver that sends JPEGs and XML files to the hardware. One of the routines of the driver receives chunks of data (64 k) . The job of this routine is to save this data until it receives a complete JPEG or an XML, and then send it across to the HW.
The problem that I face is sharing the data across the different states. I have a single buffer that is shared across all the states. Moreover other information like size of the JPEGs and XMLs need to be saved across the states.
I am attaching the code for ur refernce:
Code:
class start_state : public State
{
public:
       HPBool ProcessData(Machine *pMachine, HPCByte *pBuff, HPDword cbBuff, HPUInt& bytesWritten);
       void setNextState(State *pState);
private:
       int ExtractLength(HPCByte *pBuff);
       state DetermineState(HPCByte *pBuff);
       int m_len;
};
class jpg_state : public State
{
public:
       HPBool ProcessData(Machine *pMachine, HPCByte *pBuff, HPDword cbBuff, HPUInt& bytesWritten);

};

class xml_state : public State
{
public:
};

class send_state : public State
{
public:
};

class reset_state : public State
{
public:
};
class Machine
{
       class State *current;
public:
       Machine();

void setCurrentState(class State *s)
       {
               current = s;
       }

HPBool Process(HPCByte *pBuff, HPDword cbBuff, HPUInt& bytesWritten);
};

class State
{

protected:
       static int m_file_size;
       static int m_rcxed_size;
       Machine *pMachine;
       static MemoryBuffer fBuffer;
public:
       virtual HPBool ProcessData(Machine *pMachine, HPCByte *pBuff, HPDword cbBuff, HPUInt& bytesWritten) = 0;
       virtual void setNextState() = 0;

};

Last edited by shabbir; 30Dec2011 at 14:16.. Reason: Code blocks