tailhook123's Avatar, Join Date: May 2007
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWei
You can farble around with that all you want to, but mktime returns a time value that is as I mentioned in my original response. You can call that with two different dates and get their time values. Then, if you can multiply 5 days by 24 hours by 60 minutes by 60 seconds to get a difference figure, you're home free, right?
Sure.. if the specified problem was to find if any two dates between January 1st, 1970 and January 19, 2038 were within 5 days of each other. But he specifically stated he wanted dates of the form mm/dd/yyyy which include anything from Jan 1st, 0001 to year Dec 31st, 9999. And if you have to do the general form anyways.. there is no reason to slow your code down even touching _mktime.
DaWei's Avatar, Join Date: Dec 2006
Team Leader
Slow your code down? Get real. He's doing this calculation every few milliseconds? He's measuring intervals back before he even knew what calendar was in use? The year 3000 is far too close to take a chance on? Bub, you need to achieve some practicality.
tailhook123's Avatar, Join Date: May 2007
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Slow your code down? Get real.
Yes.. slow your code down.

Quote:
He's doing this calculation every few milliseconds?
You have no idea what he's using this for and assuming anything means you're wrong. Wrong in the same way that people felt they could store years using only 2 digits. If the year 2000 debacle taught us anything its that you simply can't make assumptions on how long this code will be used for, or where. The customer says he wants dates in the form of mm/dd/yyyy and you'd better be able to handle mm/dd/yyyy and not come back to them and say 'Sorry pal.. I can do it.. but we need to keep the dates between 1970 and 2038'.

The fact is.. its a straightforward problem to address and you do not need to go about it in a round-a-bout manner that not only takes a quite a bit of processing time to accomplish.. but fails if the dates do not stick to your specified constraints.

Quote:
He's measuring intervals back before he even knew what calendar was in use? The year 3000 is far too close to take a chance on? Bub, you need to achieve some practicality.
I am infinitely practical.. I solve the solution per the requirements given.. preferably using only the processing time needed to actually solve the problem.

If two dates aren't in concurrent years or the same year.. what are they? More than 5 days apart. In that situation it takes really no processing whatsoever other than a subtraction, a branch, with a return. Even breaking down to the wildest of the wild situations.. like 2 dates in the same year happen to cross what might be a leap day ... the years are divisible by 4 and 100 but not by 400... the code in that situation would be over and done with before your first _mktime call even returned an answer.