xpi0t0s,

Thank you so much for your response.

I was actually aware of Nyhoff's website with his source code. I was also aware that there was an errata page, but was not aware (until reading your post) that the source code on his webpage seems to have incorporated much of this extremely lengthy and protracted list of errata into the code that is actually on the webpage.

Strangely, I never really put two-and-two together to figure out not to trust the code in the book as it is. I spent a lot of time this semester in school thinking that I was just out of my mind, and unable to understand c++. I didn't realize that what I needed to do was to start second guessing the author.

I'm fairly new to computer science, my undergraduate background is in physics and chemistry. I've never seen a book with so many mistakes.

Is this commonplace in computer science to have a book that is so poorly proofread?

The lab manual that accompanies this book is also full of these mistakes, like omitting various #include statements, etc. Moreover, in the lab manual Nyhoff has a tendancy to ramble from hypothetical discussions into actual assignment instructions without ever clarifying that he's going from one to the other. Even upper division Computer Science students that I have shown the book to agree that Nyhoff is very unclear about where discussion ends and instructions begin.

What I can't figure out is that Professors seems to really admire this second edition book. Most reviews of this book written by professors seem rather positive. I suppose this is no different than physics professors who admire a book written by a famous scientists, but yet is WAY over the heads of any undergraduate student.

Anyhow, thank you for igniting the fire that ultimately helped me see the light, so to speak. Should I expect more books in Computer Science that are this full of errata?

Brent