Great Content And Ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by arold10, Aug 23, 2014.

1. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    http://calorieintake.wikidot.com/
    I know that Search engine optimization takes time for genuine results to come. I also know that the type of link building campaign that you have plays a major role regarding where your site will be ranked in the search results. I tend to focus much more on off-page optimization than on-page. As for now, I have brand new site and I am planning to post lot of content to it. I normally hear people keep echoing that thing "Content is King". My question is that based on your own experience are great contents sufficient to get you good ranking?

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Not always and depends on the competitiveness of the niche. You may need some backlinks (External or Internal)

3. Safari

Safari New Member

I will disagree with you on this Shabbir. Great content can always rank well in Google and you may not need to build links to it. Natural links can rank the content well for you.

4. shabbir

Not true and if your niche is tech or internet marketing, you are bound not to get too many links naturally and so you have to be doing link building.

Yes if you have a big site, you may not need to be doing external link building because your internal linking may be enough and as niche is not competitive enough, your internal links can be enough to fetch you good rankings.

5. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Thank you very much for your input, the site that I am currently working on is not in a competitive niche. I am doing some external link building, but I am focusing a lot more on adding lots of good content. I really hope that will help my site to get good ranking in the search results.

Well, this is something that I've never really thought about. I am very glad that I made that thread because I've just learned something meaningful. I'll try to incorporate as many on-page optimization techniques related, so that I can maximize the results.

shabbir likes this.
  6. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    I'm planning by the begining of next year, I'll have well over 150 quality blog posts on the site that I was referring to. I don't know how that is going to playing out.

7. Safari

Safari New Member

Nor would anyone else know unless it actually plays out.

8. shabbir

I have never seen an approach like that works. Its never about those 150 articles only and it is more about the competitiveness of the niche as well as quality of those articles as well.

I have couple of blogs and as of today one of the blog has 420 Posts and other has 460 posts but the one that has 420 post gets more traffic than 460 posts. And if you ask me which blog has more great content, I would say the one that has 460 posts. If you ask me which one has more backlinks the answer will be same again but the one that has 460 posts is in a niche which is super competitive than 420 posts because target audience of 420 posts is much more specific to particular GEO.

9. faribasiddiq

faribasiddiq New Member

So true.

10. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    The niche is diet which is quite a competitive niche, but there is another aspect about that niche which is about calories in foods, fruits, drinks, vegetables, and so forth; which keywords have very low competition level. I am doing some link building as well, since I'm also focusing on quality I am hoping that by next year things to start moving on the right direction as far as traffic is concerned.

11. shabbir

I don't see low competition for those items you mentioned and how you are seeing as low competition for those terms / niche

12. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    I normally use Google keword planner; so, when you type keywords such as "Calories in food", "Calories in fruit", "Calories in a banana", "Calorie counter, "Calories in egg, "Caloried in orange", and so forth you'll see the competion level for each is low.

I was not talking regarding the competitive nature of the diet niche. Diet is a much broader niche; however, once you start getting into calorie count of foods it's quite low.

13. shabbir

You are mistaken the output of Google Keywords Tools which is competition for adwords and not SEO competition.

So blog as a term may not be very competitive in Adwords because not many advertisers may bid on that term but then for SEO, that term may be impossible to rank well for.

See my article on it here - http://imtips.co/googles-keyword-tool-seo.html

14. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Thanks, I've never thought of that. You are right, these keywords that I posted earlier they are not that competitive in the sense of profitability either because there are not people that are targeting them in ads. Not too long ago, I did a rank a weebly blog that I have for this keyword "how many calories in a banana", I did get some traffic; however, I was not able to use ad-sense to take advantage of that traffic. So, I stopped optimizing for that keyword which caused my ranking to drop.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  15. shabbir

In a health niche there are many better options than Adsense and if you target only Adsense, it is worst thing to be doing.

16. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    I did have an excellent diet product that I was promoting, but I did not make any sale and the bounce rate was well over 80%. That was the main issue that I was dealing with.

17. shabbir

Search traffic is bound to have higher bounce rate because Google will send users to pages that has exact thing they are looking for.

As an example I search in Google "how to XYZABC" and so it will share the results where I can understand where XYZABC is and then I read the content and then I am done with it, so I close the window.

The bounce rate for that page may be 100% but that does not mean the actual bounce rate of that page is 100% because I spend few minutes on that page to grab what I was looking for.

So Google Analytics bounce rate is again not something that I worry too much about or you should be using events to amount of time spent on your pages as well.

18. arold10

arold10 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    It's been a while since I've posted on this thread. I am doing some link building regarding the site that I was referring to in my earliest posts because content alone will not be able to get me where I would like to get. I need to get some visibility before people start linking to my site. To be honest with you the content are high quality, but I need a boost from link building that can propel me to the top.

19. redmuppet

redmuppet New Member

For ranking content is an important part in seo. Regularly keep on updating content on your site with keywords mentioned inside the content. For ranking those keywords do quality backlink building with the anchor text which you want to rank for.

20. EllisOlson

EllisOlson New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.inexxus.com/
    The content is an important factor that have to be a part of your branding strategies but consider also the other on-page and off-page tips. You can't not rely only on content.