comparision between crystal report and data report

Discussion in 'Visual Basic ( VB )' started by sanjit_Developer, Dec 28, 2004.

1. sanjit_Developer

sanjit_Developer New Member

Hi frnds,
    Nice to return to our excellent forum. Can anybody help me in one
    concept.Visual basic6 is giving a in built report generation tool called data report.And
    we have also a third party software called crystal report for report generation.I want
    to know which one makes the application more robust end user freindly with lots of
    options.
    sanjit khasnobis

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I would suggest the Third Party tool that is crystal report.

The reason is it has lots more options than the Data Report and also if you look at the history as why Data Report is in VS 6 you will realize that its just because of Crystal Report Popularity in VB 5 or before.

3. I_LOVE_.NET

I_LOVE_.NET New Member

The reason is it has lots more options than the Data Report

I totally agree with Shabbir , for example there is a concept of "subreport" in crystal report
    which can help you to create reports for different set of records , and even that the database user may be different. I f you are not clear let me explain , i.e. there are two users of a database "RAM" which deals with Cars and "SHYAM" with deals with Bikes. now a report is required which calculate the total number of cars sold in a year from "RAM" user and total number of bikes sold in a year from "SHYAM" user . In order to make this report seen in a single report , Crystal Report is much much better (with the concept of Sub Report) this is just an exaple . Data Report is specially made for VB users if you are dealing with VS. Then in that case I guess you can pass only on recordset so it is the report , therefore this constratint is also removed if you are using a crystal report . ...and so .. Hope I can give you a clear Idea of the Difference....

I agree with you shabbir,

cheers
    Swarnava