Building a social networking site from scratch or using a social networking script?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by chiboy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chiboy

chiboy New Member

Hello all,
    please i have a problem and need your vital information to help me decide on what next to do.
    I want to start a social networking site but is having problem deciding which way to go on whether to build the site from scratch or use a social networking script.
    Please friends, based on your experiences and ideas, I would like to know the positives and negatives of either building the site from scratch or using a social networking script.
    i would also like to know which SN script is best and why(that is if you think using a SN script is better)( i would also like to know more on phpfox and SE 3 or SE 4 scripts. can they hold a huge number of users and at the same time, like in millions?)
    Please consider the following 3 points below in addition to your personal reasons while making your contributions for me.
    1. The site is for a niche that would carry million of followership and will be also having very huge number of users(in millions) on the site at every particular time.
    2. the site will also be continually developed from time to time to improve on it, scalability.
    3. the cost implications involved.
    Please i would welcome your very kind, informed and quick contributions on this issue as i want to embark on the project almost immediately.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Re: Building a social networking site from scratch or using a social networking scrip

The same thread was posted thrice and so had to get your account banned to stop that.