1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic problem in C

Discussion in 'C' started by naiya, Jun 12, 2007.

1. naiya

naiya New Member

If I write
    Code:
    void main()
    {  
    int x;
    float y;
    char z;
    printf("\nx=%d",x);
    printf("\ny=%d",y);
    printf("\nz=%d",z);
    getch();
    }    
    OUTPUT:
    x=-28852
    y=0.000000
    z=!!
    But if I declare x,y and z in global declaration section then output comes
    x=0
    y=0.000000
    z= (here comes cursor after one blankspace).
    why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  2. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    You've got several code problems and a posting problem. For the posting problem, read the "Before you make a query" thread and learn to put your code in tags to preserve its indentation/formatting. If you don't, we're not likely to read your future posts.

Now for the code: You have to give the variables you've declared a value. Declared inside main, they're local and will just contain junk until you assign a value to them. If you declare them globally, most compilers (not all) will initialize them to zero. You should still assign them a value of your own before printing them.

As for the printing, %d means int. %d will not print a float or a char properly. Use %f for floats, %c for chars. There are other formatting symbols for other types. Read the documentation on printf before you use it, for God's sake.

3. naiya

naiya New Member

DaWei
    I am sorry. The code was wrongly written by mistake. I know that %d means int, %f means float and %c means char.I will not make this kind of silly mistake in future.
    Anyway, Thanks.