SaswatPadhi's Avatar, Join Date: May 2009
~ Б0ЯИ Τ0 С0δЭ ~
Thanx for the support, nimesh !
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Final Decision is this question is also going without any winner.

Now I have discussed with PriyaD and tried to explain it and so I hope it would get better now.

Second thing which has been done is the question would not become live till I make it.
mayjune's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2009
Invasive contributor
Of course, then why do you have this system at all ?? If you are the one who decides, simple choose any member you love and send him a $.

cool down saswat, even if she did made a mistake, its ok. Its human to make mistake. you have an issue, talk cooly and make your point.

You are actually over-confident that what you are doing is "good for all".

its not being over confident saswat, think about it. You are being a Mod now. you would realize its hard to manage lot of things at a time sometimes. I agree she made a mistake, but you can say it cooly..... i am being a friend of yours and thats why i am saying this.
i hope everythings cool now
xpi0t0s's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2004
Mentor
Here's a suggestion: the person posting the question gives the question AND ANSWER to shabbir for review. Then if the two of them agree it's a good question/answer then that constitutes a valid question.

Then I suggest the questioner's and/or shabbir's decision is FINAL and that you enter ONLY on acceptance of that. If you don't accept that then however "good" your answer is you still don't win and there's no point whingeing about it.

Yes, obviously given a set of N objects you can find a rule that fits any collection N-1 of them, and the remaining object is "the odd one out" because it doesn't fit that rule. Then it's a case of guessing what the rule is that is in the questioner's head. I also find "odd one out" puzzles irritating for that fact, because the question is essentially reduced to "I'm thinking of a number, what is it?". For example:

> What if I ask you to find the odd one out of 25, 32, 41, 104 and 302 ?
- 25 because all the other's digits add up to 5 (I think this is the rule Saswat would have had in mind)
- 25 because it's the only square of an integer
- 41 because it's the only prime
- 41 because it's the only number whose prime factors don't contain a '2' or 2 primes
- 302 because it's the only one over 300
and I'm sure there are stacks of other rules you could think up to fit any 4 of them.
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
This is already done. She would post the question but it would not become live and I would have the answer and edit the question as needed and make it live.

Now you should know when I take my Coffee
mayjune's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2009
Invasive contributor
lol now we will have shabbir's controversies
ab ayega maza hehehe
SaswatPadhi's Avatar, Join Date: May 2009
~ Б0ЯИ Τ0 С0δЭ ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpi0t0s View Post
> What if I ask you to find the odd one out of 25, 32, 41, 104 and 302 ?
- 25 because all the other's digits add up to 5 (I think this is the rule Saswat would have had in mind)
- 25 because it's the only square of an integer
- 41 because it's the only prime
- 41 because it's the only number whose prime factors don't contain a '2' or 2 primes
- 302 because it's the only one over 300
and I'm sure there are stacks of other rules you could think up to fit any 4 of them.
I had all of the above + some more like the following:
- 104 because it's the only one ending with 4.
- 25 because it's only one divisible by 5, ending with 5 etc ...
and many many others ..

I just wanted to show, that picking the "odd" one out is meaningless without mentioning the proper criteria.
SaswatPadhi's Avatar, Join Date: May 2009
~ Б0ЯИ Τ0 С0δЭ ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjune View Post
Of course, then why do you have this system at all ?? If you are the one who decides, simple choose any member you love and send him a $.

cool down saswat, even if she did made a mistake, its ok. Its human to make mistake. you have an issue, talk cooly and make your point.
Of course, "To err is human". But when you commit an error, do you say I'm the boss here so I can do whatever I want ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjune View Post
You are actually over-confident that what you are doing is "good for all".

its not being over confident saswat, think about it. You are being a Mod now. you would realize its hard to manage lot of things at a time sometimes. I agree she made a mistake, but you can say it cooly.....
I was talking coolly, I was just annoyed that my answer was not recognised as correct one. Note that I am not asking my answer to be declared as the correct one, just asking that to be declared as a correct one.
But she said "I am the one who decides !" : what does this mean, and what kind of an attitude is this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjune View Post
i am being a friend of yours and thats why i am saying this.
i hope everythings cool now
Yeah .. thanx for your views my friend. But I hope you have gone through the whole conversation and not only my replies.

No point in discussing over this any more.
Now that shabbir will monitor this process, I hope everything will be peaceful and smooth.
priyad's Avatar
Ambitious contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaswatPadhi View Post


Of course, then why do you have this system at all ?? If you are the one who decides, simple choose any member you love and send him a $.

Yeah, what a novel idea, thank you. Does it occur to anyone that this is totally uncalled for?

Quote:
You are actually over-confident that what you are doing is "good for all"
When I started posting questions, there werent many rules, they are just coming up as we proceed. Its like forming rules of a game as it progresses. Not that I wouldnt abide by them, but I meant I should decide, simply coz I was posting, leaving everyone to discuss for winner here would merely increase confusion.
If that is called over-confident, then so be it!
Anyway, I have clarified enough, the questions will be handled by Shabbir henceforth.
mayjune's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2009
Invasive contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaswatPadhi View Post
Of course, "To err is human". But when you commit an error, do you say I'm the boss here so I can do whatever I want ??
.
hmmmm...

Quote:
Yeah .. thanx for your views my friend. But I hope you have gone through the whole conversation and not only my replies.
yaeh i did, i have been following this conversation from the start. I think its best we close this topic and start afresh....

Quote:
No point in discussing over this any more.
Now that shabbir will monitor this process, I hope everything will be peaceful and smooth
hmm... agreed