I just happen to make my life worse when I forgot my MySQL password on my Vista PC. I tried Googling out for forgot password for Windows Vista but happen to find everything from XP to Linux but not Vista and after going through each of them including the Linux one's as well I happen to reset the password so thought I would share my experience on how to reset MySQL password on Vista.
- Log on to your system as Administrator.
- Stop the MySQL server if it is running. For a server that is running as a Windows service, go to the Services manager:
Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Then find the MySQL service in the list, and stop it.
If your server is not running as a service, you may need to use the Task Manager to force it to stop.
- Start the Command Prompt ( cmd.exe ) as an Administrator by Right clicking the short cut and selecting Run as Administrator.
You will be prompted and allow everything.
- Now start the mysqld process with --skip-grant-tables option.
- Keep that window open and open a new command prompt and browse to the location of MySQL and start MySQL with -u root option. It will not ask for any password and now execute the following SQL.
Code: SQLUPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root';
- Now execute Code: SQLFLUSH PRIVILEGES;
- Restart your PC and now it should allow you to access MySQL with your password