What is the difference between Functions and Stored Procedures?
1. Stored procedure supports deferred name resolution: but Function won’t support deferred name resolution.
2. Stored procedures return always an integer value by default zero. Where as function Scalar (single value or table or row set)
3. Stored procedures are precompiled execution plan but functions are not.
4. Functions in sql server can be one of two different types 1.scalar, 2. Table
Stored procedures are 2 types. 1. Regular sp, 2. Temporary sp
5. The result of the user defined function can be used with in a sql server statement. Where as the result of stored procedures can’t be used in sql server statements.
6. Stored procedure allows all functionality provided by a function but the reverse is not true.